What is “training and development”?
“Training and development” are commonly combined into the same category; however, while training and development conceptually make a great team, the two are not identical or even equal. They are more like siblings; related, better together, united by nature, yet wholly individual and unique.
The functionality of training and development of your employee may be similar in regards to the ultimate health and growth of your business, but the methodology, purpose, and results of each differ significantly.
So what are the differences?
- Training is about learning something new.
- Development is about building on what we’ve learned.
- Training is a short-term investment more for the company’s benefit.
- Development is a long-term investment more for the benefit of the employee.
- Training is the employee investing in the company.
- Development is the company investing in the employee.
- Training is for the job at hand.
- Development is for future growth.
- Training is a measurable commodity; either one can do the job or one can’t.
- Development, being distinguishably futuristic, is impossible to evaluate.
- Training is necessary to get the job done.
- Development is necessary to get the job done better.
Business leaders are told to invest time and resources in staff development because it helps improve skills, develops engagement and reinforces company goals. It is important to be mindful of how to invest time and resources. There is a difference between training management and developing management. Take the time to understand both and then create a plan that provides both aspects to key company leaders. Although training tackles an employee’s specific job-related tasks, development seeks to improve an employee’s broader skills as a person over an extended time frame. (SmallBusinessChron.com)
Two questions can help explain the need for this “dynamic duo” we call training and development.
- Can training exist without development?
Sure. A business could easily choose to train employees with no intention of fostering future growth. While employee development is a wise choice for employee engagement , it is not a requirement for the company to operate.
- Can development exist without training?
Not really. Most people can be trained to cut a piece of pipe, but it is only with extensive training, mentoring, and experience — development — that the same person could become a reputable journeyman pipefitter. The two go hand in hand. Both training and development are vital to the short- and long-term health of any business. Training and development, done generously, can conclusively prove to your employees that they are worth your investment. Implementing a learning management system (LMS) such as ExxTend Learning to train and develop your employees can play a vital role in the strength of your team and the success of your business.
- Advantages of an LMS (2)
- Community Involvement (1)
- Compliance Training (2)
- Conferences (1)
- Corporate eLearning (8)
- Customer Service (2)
- eLearning Design & Development (5)
- eLearning Trends (5)
- Employee Engagement (5)
- ExxTend Learning Features & Updates (2)
- Fun (3)
- Instructor-Led Training (2)
- Learning & Development (9)
- Learning Content (1)
- Learning Management System (10)
- LMS Best Practices (4)
- LMS Implementation (2)
- LMS Software (6)
- Motivation (5)
- News (1)
- Online Training (1)
- Photo (1)
- SaaS (1)
- Software as a Service (5)
- Training & Development (10)